By: Heather Bien
As you roll out of the shower and toward your underwear drawer, the type of underwear you choose probably isn’t at the forefront of your mind. Some of us reach for the prettiest pattern, others merely rummage aimlessly as we scroll through the morning news.
If underwear isn’t your top priority, make it one. A comfortable, well-fitting pair of underwear can transform your day from so-so to so-great. But how can you choose the best fit?
In this handy guide, we’ll walk through hip-covering hipsters and full-coverage brief underwear to help you find the perfect match.
What’s the Difference Between Hipsters and Briefs?
Briefs and hipsters are often confused with one another, so we’re here to clear up that confusion. The biggest difference between hipster vs brief is the cut:1
- Hipsters – Hipsters sit low on your hips and typically have a wide waistband. They cover your hips, hence the name. You should know that they come in different types. A perfect example would be hipster bikini underwear. The trick to distinguishing a hipster is in its name. If the underwear only reaches your hips, you’re wearing hipster underwear.
- Briefs – These are your “full coverage” undies. Briefs have a higher waist than hipsters and a wide bottom.
Let’s dive a little deeper into the specifics of each of these underwear types.
Team Hipsters: Why Hipsters Are Amazing
Like the hipster neighborhood in your city where you can find all of the latest trends, hipster panties combine many features you want in your undergarments, such as a:
- Flattering fit for many different shapes
- Wide waistband for good coverage around the hips
- Sporty and comfortable look
- Variety of fabrics and designs
These features culminate in a comfortable and versatile pair of underwear that you’ll love to wear.
Team Briefs: Why Briefs Are Brilliant
Briefs also have cozy characteristics that make you reach for them on self-care days. Some of the benefits of briefs include:
- Extra coverage in both the front and back
- High-cut, moderate, and low-rise styles
- High-waisted for a flattering silhouette
- Extremely comfortable fit
Similar to hipsters, briefs come in many different fabrics and designs, so you’ll have no trouble finding a pair that you like. We’ve come a long way from the unflattering “granny panties” of the old days. Briefs may be more stylish than granny panties, but they can serve similar purposes, such as being the go-to underwear for everyday wear.
Trying to decide if you are in need of new undies? Learn more about how often to replace underwear.
Are Hipsters or Briefs Better?
Both hipsters and briefs can share space in your underwear drawers. Some situations call for more coverage, while other times, you may need a sportier look.
Choose Hipsters When…
Hipsters are extremely versatile and are best paired with:
- Figure-hugging outfits
- Jeans (high or low rise)
- Shorter skirts or dresses
Hipsters are also a winning choice for ladies with pear-shaped bodies or more athletic builds since they provide wide coverage over your hips.
Briefs Are Best for…
Some days you want more from your underwear. Briefs are ideal for:
- High-waisted pants or skirts
- Days you want a little more coverage
- Times when you want to be as comfortable as possible
You should note that briefs aren’t a good choice when you don’t want your panty lines to show
as they tend to peek out under your clothing.
The bottom line:
Basically, both options are ok for casual and everyday wear depending on your comfort level. But if you are about to wear form-hugging or low-hemline attire, go for a g-string or seamless underwear.
What To Look for When Underwear Shopping
There are a few tried-and-true rules you should follow when you’re on the hunt for some new undies and choosing between hipster vs brief underwear. Next time you’re browsing, remember the three Fs:
- Fit – The most important consideration is how well your underwear fits. You want it to sit comfortably on your hips without digging into your skin or waist. You should also make sure that it doesn’t ride up or bunch up in uncomfortable places. Learn more about how to measure your hips.
- Fabric – There are countless fabrics to choose from. However, synthetic fabrics won’t allow your skin to breathe, paving the way for itchiness and even infection. Soft, breathable, natural fabrics like cotton and bamboo are ideal for undergarments. As a bonus, they’re also better for the environment.
- Flair – You don’t have to stick to boring, white cotton panties. Not that there’s anything wrong with those! However, if you want a little extra color in your panty drawer, you can find soft, comfortable underwear in every color of the rainbow. Feel free to add a few different shades to your collection.
Underwear is a necessity, but it doesn’t have to be a drag. You’ll love your undies when they fit correctly, are made of the right fabrics, and showcase a little personality with their style and color.
Find Your New Underwear Faves at Boody Eco Wear
There’s no real answer to the debate between hipsters vs. briefs (nor the hipsters vs. bikinis debate). The best pair of undies depends on your personal preference and the occasion. Hipsters sit lower on your hips, while briefs offer complete coverage and a higher waistband.
If you want to stock your underwear drawer with both, we’ve got you covered. At Boody Eco Wear, all of our clothing is made from sustainable fabrics like bamboo viscose. You’ll get a comfortable fit that you can feel good about. Shop our collection of bamboo underwear today.
About the Author:
Heather Bien is a copywriter and writer based in Washington, DC. She works with retail, ecommerce, and creative brands on their website copy and digital presence, and her freelance writing has appeared on MyDomaine, Apartment Therapy, The Everygirl, and more. When she's not with laptop and coffee in hand, you'll find her planning her next weekend getaway, working on her budding green thumb, or scouting for her next great vintage find.
- Adhav, Lauren. "A Breakdown of All the Types of Underwear You Might Need in Your Lingerie Drawer." Cosmopolitan. 28 June 2019, https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/a28194554/underwear-types-styles-women/