By: Melissa Tempest
Summer’s longer days and warmer weather have inspired us to kick our om session up a notch. After all, the benefits yoga offer your body and mind are pretty much endless (hello, increased bone strength, improved mental clarity and boosted immunity). But even the most seasoned yogis know that great gear can help push your stamina to the max. Here are 11 yoga essentials that will help you take your workout to the next level — whether you’re perfecting your home yoga practice or sweating it out in class every week.
- Jade Yoga Harmony Mat ($80): This popular eco-friendly 3/16” thick yoga mat is a fan-favorite for a good reason. Made sustainably with natural rubber tapped from rubber trees (think: no PVC, EVA or other synthetic rubber) provides great traction and cushion while still providing stability for all your standing poses.
- Yuni MY OM WORLD Aromatic Body Mist ($28): Step back and take a deep breath post-yoga with this pure bliss aromatic body mist. Its light, fresh and uplifting scent combines the ease of savasana, the cleanliness of a fresh shower and the beauty of warmer months. Plus, it’s small enough to bring it with you wherever you go.
- Manduka Cork Block ($20): For the more visually sensitive yogi, these cork blocks are just plain attractive. Sturdy yet lightweight block, they’re made from renewable fine-grain cork which gives you a textured surface for enhanced grip and support. While you’re at it, go ahead and grab two of them so you don’t have to worry about doing the uneven bars during your practice.
- FeetUp Trainer ($149): Master your headstand prep at home thanks to this handy trainer stool that will help you build up strength while reducing the risk of injury. The frame is made from multi-layered beech wood (making it extra durable) while its soft cushion is covered with sustainable faux leather and filled with a thick padding made of recycled foam for maximum comfort and safety.
- Boody Active Full Leggings ($66): Take the comfort of basic leggings to a whole new level with these sustainable mid-rise active leggings. They’re excellent for when you rather keep calm and om on but also offering extra hugging support if you want to kick things up a notch while you practice your Shirshasana technique.
- DharmaCraft Zafu Zabuton Meditation Cushion Set ($139): Having a dedicated space for meditation isn’t a necessity, but it can definitely serve as a visual and physical reminder to keep your practice front and center. This organic cotton duo is colored using eco-friendly, low-impact dyes in an array of colors to brighten your meditation space (and look chic when you’re not using it).
- Jade Yoga Mat Towel ($40): Truly the most portable and silky smooth microfiber yoga towel, this item will be your must-have companion to hold you in place even when your practice gets extra sweaty. It’s made with polyester microfiber, making it super absorbent and quick drying while providing a great grip throughout the entire class time.
- Takeya 18oz Actives Insulated Water Bottle ($30): This BPA-free, vacuum-insulated bottle will help you quench your thirst in the sweatiest of hot classes without slipping thanks to its powder coated outside. We also love the wide grip loop handle you can use to clip it ot your tote and its leak-proof lid — for when you accidentally knock it down as you transition your poses in class.
- Yuni CHILLAX Muscle Recovery Gel ($17): Go ahead and say goodbye to soreness and discomfort. This lightweight, non-greasy, plant-based muscle recovery gel has the perfect combination of energizing aroma and easy-to-use rollerball applicator to help soothe and relax your muscles. It’s practically your new post-workout BFF.
- Boody Racerback Active Tank ($37): Take your yogawear from practice to post-yoga drinks with this easy tank that uses a unique blend of viscose derived from bamboo to keep its fabric soft to the touch. Plus, its relaxed fit has a generous arm opening — an added bonus when you’re forehead-down and deeply inhaling during child’s pose.
- Wicks and Stones Yoga Prana Candle ($42): Sink into savasana with a super-warming essential oil blend that includes clove, cinnamon, honey, and vanilla plus a moonstone crystal for balancing energy. The best part? After you've burned through the entire candle, a hand-picked crystal remains to remind you of your intention.